Simple Ways to Improve Your “Elf on the Shelf”

12/02/2012 11:04:00 AM Posted by mommy2twincesses



He’s everyone’s favorite guy of the month, next to Santa Claus himself. He’s sly, tricky, playful, and usually, quite frankly-up to no good! He’s the “Elf on the Shelf”. Ours is named Herbie, and unfortunately he looks EXACTLY like a million other elves-or at least he did last year ;)

I’m not a big fan of blending in, especially when it comes to little red elves that ooze mischief and are posted all over social media and store shelves alike. My girls are only 3 and seeing what appears to be “their” elf, EVERYWHERE else is downright confusing….and frustrating! So, I decided to make a few little adjustments to Herbie to set him apart from the pack (and make it easier for me to create mayhem with him).

To hopefully end the “There’s Herbie!” cries, I simply sewed a tiny silver jingle bell to the top of his hat. That’s it, for this year anyway. I told the girls that the bell was a special gift to Herbie from Santa, kind of like a Girl Scout badge. He must’ve been a very helpful elf to earn such a big reward! 

I’ve decided that if the trend of “elf personalizing” catches on (which I’m sure it will because it’s brilliant, LOL) that I’ll add a little something different each year. Like next year he may have a name tag, new shoes, a cool stripe down his pants, a flashy silver belt…….who knows?!

But the main improvement I made, from a mommy perspective anyway, was the floral wire to his limbs. I was fed up with trying to figure out how to get this stiff little felt doll to stay where I put him, so I made tiny slits in hidden places and ran doubled floral wire through his arms and legs! A job well done, if I have to say so myself! The little booger is now bendable and posable and I don’t have to fiddle for hours with string, putty, or tape to make him stay put!

Go mommy! It’s your birthday! And now elf posing won’t drive you cra-zay! *doing a little dance*

Have you tweaked your elf in some way? If so, share your ideas in the comments below!

1 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...

    Clever idea!

Post a Comment