Homemade Fish Extender a Disney Cruise Must-Have

8/31/2012 11:01:00 AM Posted by mommy2twincesses

Since yesterday afternoon, when I discovered the whole “Fish Extender” program on Disney Cruises (check out that link to learn more about it!) I’ve been consumed with creating one for our family-because I’m way too cheap to pay $40 or more for the pre-made ones on eBay and Etsy.
I’m sewing challenged, so anything past basic hand stitching is out for me. Yes, I actually have a sewing machine but we don’t quite see eye to eye. I knew I had to figure something out that involved as little sewing (or none would be even better) as possible.
After browsing through others’ creations, I sucked it up and made a quick Wal-Mart run.
I was having a hard time deciding between using zippered pencil cases and an over the door shoe hanger. Because the pencil cases were already colored, already had grommets that I could use to connect them to each other, and finally because they seemed a little more roomy, they won. I grabbed 4 zippered pencil cases-one for each member of the family-and headed home to raid my craft closet and get busy decorating them!
I pulled out some ribbon, colored buttons, small wooden letters, paint for the letters, my trusty hot glue gun, some permanent no-sew seam adhesive, and a needle and thread (just in case).
I let my imagination run free and about two hours later (because I had NO idea what I wanted the finished product to look like)-here’s what I came up with:

It’s not so bad! Actually, I’m pretty darn pleased with it! (Especially since it basically cost me $4 and a random assortment of things already taking up space in my craft closet!) I envision adding a little something to it each time we use it-yeah, that will be fun! Seeing what the girls choose to add to it as they get older and watching it transform over the years……..SQUEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it!
So, what do you think?! Let me know in the comments below :o)

10 comments:

  1. Kristi said...

    Great job! We have taken 2 cruises and still haven't done the fish extenders! I am hoping to do it next time.

  2. mommy2twincesses said...

    Thanks Krisi! From what you recall did it seem like a lot of people participated or it still kind of hush hush?

  3. TwynMawrMom said...

    seriously cute! I love them. I sew so I made my own and actually sell them on ETSY (which is how I came across your post) but yours are so much more fun!! :) seriously!!

  4. 4my4 said...

    How did you attach the ribbon to the next pouch (from grommet to...?) I'm trying to copy your cute craft!

  5. 4my4 said...

    How did you attach the ribbon to the next pouch (from grommet to...?) I'm trying to copy your cute craft!

  6. L said...

    What do you use the fish extender for on the Disney cruise? Newbie!!!

  7. Fsudisneyfamily said...

    You have to sign up for it in a group that is online. You will get the information from them. You exchange gifts with people from that group. I've been reading all about it and it sounds like a fun thing to do. We're going on our first Disney cruise in March 2014. I plan on doing this. I think the kids will get a kick out of it.

  8. mommy2twincesses said...

    Thanks guys! I started my ribbon at one end and just continued with one long piece, and hand stitched on the side without grommets, just to keep it in place :o)

  9. mommy2twincesses said...

    You can expect the pouches of your FE to be filled randomly with goodies from all around the world! You bring gifts to stuff into other members' pouches and they in return stuff yours :o) It was really a neat thing to participate in!

  10. Foster Mom - R said...

    This is great! I'm totally using your method!

Post a Comment