The Twin Quizzing Continues

9/25/2012 01:38:00 PM Posted by mommy2twincesses

At 3 years old we STILL get the typical “twin” questions when we’re out and about, but the girls pretty much handle this on their own now. Just a week or so ago we were shopping and a lady kept staring and one of them piped up and said, directly toward her, “YES, we’re twins!” I almost died of embarrassment, but she seemed completely relieved and then followed with the same song and dance everyone else does. It went something like this:
The lady: (laughs) “I sure thought so, but was afraid to ask. So how old are you?”
The girls: (holding up 3 fingers) “We’re 3 and our birthday is February 2nd.”
Lady: “REALLY?! Well who is the oldest?”
M: (raises her hand) “I am, by one minute.”
Lady: (looks at me like “what the what”) “They sure do look alike! Are they identical?”
K: “Yes, but I have a freckle on my nose, and my sister has one on her cheek.”
Me: (highly amused by the look of wonder on the lady’s face) “I guess you can tell that we get this all the time?”
The conversation is wrapped up with me trying to politely excuse us to finish our shopping.
This is so commonplace that we rarely even check up and I suppose the girls don’t really think anything about it because it happens so often. But every now and then something goes awry (or someone says something totally off color and asinine) and the latest went like this-I’m SO relieved not to have to handle idiots alone now, the girls get them before I have a chance! Here’s a great example:
Again, we’re shopping and a lady starts with all the usual questions. The girls spit the answers back to her just like before, but as she’s walking off she says, “I don’t know how you do it! If I’d have had twins I would’ve shot myself!”
I cringed inside and hoped with every fiber of my being my children wouldn’t hear this, but of course they did. Before I had a chance to explain that like the scarecrow on the Wizard of Oz says, “some people without brains do an awful lot of talking”, one of them quipped, “What?! What would you have shot yourself WITH?!”
My knees went weak but my subconscious was fist pumping! I struggled to keep a straight face as the woman turned to glance back at us in disbelief over her shoulder and I found great joy in watching the color drain from her face. She was flabbergasted! I don’t know if she was truly embarrassed by her own stupidity or by the fact that she was outwitted by a 3 year old, but whatever it was made me immensely happy!
Do you get “quizzed”?! How old are your twins? Does this EVER get better? How do you handle it? Tell me your stories!

1 comments:

  1. Courtney said...

    I've daydreamed about simply replying 'no' when asked if mine are twins. I wonder how that would go over. Or "No, they just happen to look just alike and look the same age."

Post a Comment